California State University Dominguez Hills
(2) Assistant Professors (Community Health)
Department of Health Sciences
College of Health, Human Services, & Nursing
The Department of Health Sciences at California State University, Dominguez Hills (CSUDH) invites applications for (2) Tenure-track positions at the rank of Assistant Professor (Academic Year) with the appointment starting in Fall 2023.
At CSUDH, we celebrate and respect diversity in all forms that include every race, religion, gender, ethnicity, veterans, people with varied abilities, and members of the LGBTQ+ community. CSUDH is seeking applications from candidates who can demonstrate experience in teaching and working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and contribute to the University’s mission, vision, and core values.The Department of Health Sciences
The Department of Health Sciences has over 600 majors and is housed within the College of Health, Human Services, and Nursing. This dynamic and rapidly growing program offers a B.S. degree in Health Science with concentrations in community health, healthcare management, and radiologic technology. A master’s degree program is currently under development for implementation within the next few years.
For more information: : https://www.csudh.edu/health-sciences/health-science/
There are two open positions that are academic year tenure-track at the rank of Assistant Professor of Health Sciences beginning August 2023. Primary consideration will be given to candidates with an earned doctorate in public health with a concentration in community health, health promotion, or health behavior. Consideration may be given to candidates with a doctorate in a closely-related field to public health and with expertise in community health, health promotion, or health behavior as evident by one or more of the following: the dissertation, significant peer-reviewed scholarship, substantial professional work experience, a Master of Public Health (MPH) degree, certifications, fellowships, post-doctoral training, formal coursework completed.
Excellence in teaching, scholarly publications, service to the university and community, student advisement and recruitment, curriculum development, and other responsibilities consistent with the mission of the University and the requirements of the Department and College are expected. Teaching duties may consist of day, evening, weekend, and/or online classes in both the current undergraduate and planned graduate programs. Teaching areas include but are not limited to public health; research methods; community health assessment; program development, implementation, and evaluation; methods in health education; multicultural health; health disparities and social justice; social epidemiology; CHES preparation; grant writing; capstone seminar; and internship seminar. Conduct research, produce scholarly publications/research works and pursue external sources of funding in the field of community health. Contribute to departmental, collegiate, and university-wide programs and initiatives via service opportunities.
- Applicants must have experience in teaching and working with colleagues from diverse age, socioeconomic, cultural, and academic backgrounds
- Primary consideration will be given to candidates with an earned doctorate in public health with a concentration in community health, health promotion, or health behavior. Consideration may be given to candidates with a doctorate in a closely-related field to public health and with expertise in community health, health promotion, or health behavior as evident by one or more of the following: the dissertation, significant peer-reviewed scholarship, substantial professional work experience, a Master of Public Health (MPH) degree, certifications, fellowships, post-doctoral training, formal coursework completed
teaching track record and evidence of a strong commitment of student
success as evidenced by one or more the following:
- Teaching in the curriculum
- Developing curriculum
- Developing course materials
- Participating in program accreditation
- Creating/adapting educational technology applications
- Writing/securing/implementing education program grants
- Developing pedagogical innovations and inquiries (as differentiated from the scholarship of teaching and learning)
- Current or recent experience in community health practice and working with diverse populations
- Scholarly publications commensurate with experience
- Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) credential and/or Certified in Public Health (CPH) credential
- Established relationships with community-based organizations and health agencies
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: grant-writing, mentorship of students engaged in research, program development, student learning outcomes assessment, and/or program accreditation
- Evidence of strong commitment to equity, inclusion, and racial justice
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Interim Policy
The California State University (CSU) is committed to safeguarding the health and well-being of our students, faculty, staff, administrators, and the communities we serve, as well as maintaining higher education access and attainment for our students, as such, we embrace a comprehensive strategy designed to reduce the likelihood of transmission of the COVID-19 virus. The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption if eligible. Any candidate advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The system-wide policy can be found at: CSU COVID-19 Vaccinations Policy.
Questions about the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Mandated Reporter Per CANRA
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA) and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083, revised December 24, 2021, as a condition of employment.
How to Apply- To apply for this position, https://careers.csudh.edu/en-us/job/520647/2-assistant-professor-health-sciences-community-health
The position is open until filled. Review of applications will begin in January/2023. For full consideration, please submit your completed application with the required materials no later than January 17, 2023.
Current Curriculum Vitae with contact information
- Cover letter
- Statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (2 pages maximum)*
- List of 3 references with contact information**
- Unofficial transcripts (an official transcript will be required for the finalist)**
- A Statement on Teaching (2 pages maximum)
- A Statement on Research (2 pages maximum)
- Sample Publications or Evidence of Creative/Scholarly Activity
- Teaching Evaluations (if available)
*Given CSUDH’s commitment to diversity and inclusion for all students, faculty, staff, and administrators, describe your individual commitment and experiences in advancing diversity and inclusion and how they relate to your future teaching and research.
**This position requires three letters of recommendation (LORs). Please do not upload your LORs with your application. Your list of references will be notified at the appropriate time during the search process. They will receive a request via email along with information on uploading the LOR. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUDH by logging back into your applicant portal.
**For finalist with International transcripts, a United States Equivalency certification will be required.
A United States (US) Equivalency certification is required for earned/awarded/conferred foreign terminal degrees, which is from a foreign Academic Institution for foreign studies. The US Equivalency certification is used to validate foreign studies from an academic credential evaluation agency and is evaluated on foreign studies and deemed to be equivalent to degrees from the United States. The certification must translate the information in English, and confirm that your highest terminal degree is US Equivalent to a US terminal degree (i.e., Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctorate’s, Doctor’s of Philosophy). The certification can be emailed to email@example.com or mailed directly to the office of Faculty Affairs and Development, 1000 East Victoria Street, WH-368, Carson, CA 90747.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Dr. Abel Arvizú Whittemore
Search Committee Chair
CSU, Dominguez Hills
1000 East Victoria Street, (WH A-330)
Carson, CA 90747
CSUDH is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
For more information: U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
Individuals with disabilities requesting accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may call the Human Resources’ Office (310) 243-3771.
Clery Act crime statistics for CSUDH are available at Campus Security Report (Clery), or by calling University Police at (310) 243-3639.
Upon appointment, all candidates must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.
The California State University is Smoke and Tobacco Free. Smoking, Vaping and other Tobacco use are Not Permitted anywhere on University property. Education Code 42356, CCR Title 5, Article 9.
For more information see: Smoke & Tobacco-Free
Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled
Employment/Position Type:Full Time
Share On :